Today, EA/DICE released a new Battlelog trailer (sorry, no new real gameplay footage) Featuring a lot about the integration that you have in battlelog between your console/PC and your smartphone or tablet. Here are a couple of new features:
* Use your tablet as minimap while playing on your main system.
* Change the loadout in-game on your secondary device while you are dead, so you can eliminate that wasted time on the battlefield.
* Change servers instantly on your second device, without leaving the one you are currently.
* A new feature called “Missions”, which are challenges you can create to play between your friends, to see who is the best at certain aspects.
* Another new feature, my personal favorite, which is called “Geo-leaderboards”, so you can see where you rank in aspects of the game in your area, state, country, etc.
This is all very promising stuff. The Geo-leaderboards is a personal favorite of mine, and I would have loved to see that implemented in BF3, so that I can see how my Gun Master wins stack up against everyone else.
Clearly DICE is leaning heavily on using the secondary devices, and it seems to be working out for them. It is a feature in a major FPS game that has yet to be seen working at this level. Of course the biggest usage will be playing Commander on your tablet, and we haven’t seen a lot of that yet.
Stay tuned in the coming weeks as there is more to come out for sure.