Platoons, which made their debut in Battlefield 3, will finally be returning to Battlefield 4 on February 27th.
Unlike the Battlefield 3 platoon, which was mostly appearance based, there will be some distinct new features in this iteration, which emphasize how well the members in a platoon do both together and individually.
New Features will include:
- The ability to create and join a Platoon for up to 100 members.
- Basic Platoon management such as inviting, applying, and promoting/demoting members.
- A private and public Platoon feed, where you can communicate and coordinate.
- A Platoon emblem and tag that all members can easily apply.
- The ability to earn stats for your Platoon and rank it up, and see all the matches you played together.
Platoons can rank up from 1-10 (with more to come), and they are ranked by playing in a match with four or more members from the platoon. You can also share tags and emblems between members (copying emblems was possible, but not easy). A final note, Premium, and a soldier at Rank 10 or higher is required to create a platoon.
DICE also notes that you can join a platoon no matter what platform you play on, and “that this is the first iteration of Platoons. We will continue to work on the feature to refine and expand it, but now we will finally have the opportunity to see it in action and get some real-world feedback.”