In the newest edition of “Ask DICE”, the developers respond to questions from fans wanting clarification and additional information on the multiplayer of Battlefield 4. Question one deals with player limits for the 360 and PS3 versions of the game. Question two focuses on jets. Question 3 offers further clarification on Levolution. Question 4 concerns team play, and question five offers some insight on suppression in the game.
Here is a list of the most important answers EA/DICE provides:
1) “Battlefield 4 will support 24 players on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, with two additional commanders depending on the game mode. We will support 64 players on PC as well as Xbox One and PlayStation 4, a first for the Battlefield series on console. Battlefield 4 on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will also run at 60fps, another first for the series on console. The Xbox One, Playstation 4, and PC, with also support 2 additional players taking on the role of Commanders, depending on the game mode.”
“Additionally, squads now consist of five teammates.”
2) Battlefield 4 will definitely have jets! We’ll be giving you more information about jets soon, so stay tuned. For now, we’re happy to reveal the Chinese J-20 Stealth Jet – a totally new addition to jets in Battlefield.”
3) “Battlefield 4 will feature game-changing destruction on a whole new scale with a concept we call Levolution – this is what you’re seeing when the skyscraper in Siege of Shanghai is destroyed.The skyscraper in Siege of Shanghai is brought down when players destroy the four main pillars of the building. This means that it can happen at any time in the match. Levolution happens on all levels from the big like the skyscraper moment to the small like shooting fire extinguishers to distract your enemies so you can easily take them out or cutting the power of a building to blind your opponents so you have the advantage on the battlefield.These game changing events not only affect the player’s tactics but also the visual identity of the map. And what’s most important, it’s you triggering these things to happen.”
4) “One of the ways Battlefield 4 will encourage teamplay is Field Upgrades. The idea behind Field Upgrades is to give individual rewards for squad based team play performance. You earn them through squad scoring such as squad healing, completing objectives with your squad members, squad resupplies, squad repairs, and other squad actions.Instead of one single specialization in Battlefield 3, you can now pick from different upgrades paths, each containing four specializations. Keep the squad alive, and you will move through the accumulative upgrade path. However, if your entire squad is eliminated, you will lose some of your progress.”
5) “Suppression has been refined in Battlefield 4. There will be no more suppression in close-quarters combat, and LMGs will have beefed-up suppressive fire abilities allowing you to pin down your enemies. Suppression also causes visual impairment, while being suppressed no longer impacts the accuracy of your weapon. Instead, a sway effect makes aiming more difficult, but with some skill you will find it possible to counteract.”
An “Ask Dice” Q/A will be added to their official website every other Friday. Hopefully, future Q/A’s will reveal more information about naval vehicles and gameplay, classes, and levolution.